Successful organizations come to business content management solutions giving serious consideration. Cloud, mobile, social technologies excite them to put the content on the first step of the podium.
Business content is only that matters. Digitize and conquer is the path to victory.
Discovering new content-enabled systems, companies get a value from automation of routine processing, rigor flows of control, easy access and deep-laid storage of proper content.
Whether you need ECM for fair?
To gain the understanding, if you need an ECM system survey yourself:
– Can you find at once a proper document talking to a valuable partner by phone?
– Can you tell exactly which of commissions instructed by you are executed and which are expired?
– Are you okay with that stack of papers on your desk?
– Are you sure that the current speed of confirming process doesn’t jeopardize the positive image of your company?
– Can you say confidently on which stage a document revised by you is at the moment?
– If you answered less than three questions positively, then it is time to think seriously about implementing the ECM system.
What is ECM indeed?
ECM systems are considered processing the following functionalities:
– document management (issued/returned, version control, security, grouping);
– collaborative work with shared documents;
– support of project teams;
– record retention, storage, and retrieval;
– policy-based filing and archival structure;
– scanning documents for capture from physical documents;
– support documents for distributed, centralized and web-based scanning;
– content approval and publishing process under a strong workflow;
– web content management and publishing.
Before starting to evaluate ECM tools, you should reflect on what you expect from this software, outline why you want it, and clarify must-haves presented in it. Having multiple discussions with our customers over the meetings, we’ve come to the list of strong points on how to choose the appropriate ECM system.
Choosing the right ECM system
Regardless of your business needs, you most likely go into the following patterns carefully while choosing the right ECM system:
1. CompatibilityA new system accurately integrated with your existing infrastructure has to respect settled comprehensiveness and severity of work with content. An enterprise-level ECM system will unlock your content with a variety of databases, file, and data storage devices, set up rules, protocols under the protection of proven security stack. For good measure, your run CRM or ERP applications can be compatible with ECM system via APIs, out-of-the-box solutions or custom developed connectors. The compatibility plays the key role in the case when a client has already the off-the-shelf software solutions and needs to add a part responsible for documents management. We have experienced a client’s request to us with an operated website served as a storage of documents like an online library. The issue was solved by combining two power systems. We have integrated Alfresco with Liferay (current software) transferring all articles from the legacy storage to the latter-day hub based on Alfresco.
2. Backbone featuresThe ECM system main concern is its ability to put in order the entire lifecycle of unstructured content. If this problem is considered, five core ECM capabilities are in the front: 1) full-text and filtered search, 2) manual and inherited metadata, classification, and taxonomies, 3) versioning to let you recover previous versions, 4) rendition support for automatically generating PDF, XML, HTML, AutoCAD and other types of files, and 5) compound document support for small documents to be incorporated into any master document being so significant for procedural documentation.
3. Access from anywhereThe clue to the mystery why your employees could lose or delay the documents may lie in a bad adoption of the new ECM system. The BYOD phenomenon (Bring Your Own Device), as outlined by Dave Evans, Cisco chief futurist, spread worldwide in organizations. The main point at issue is to provide secure access to the content across variable devices, to tune up a well-thought control under it and combine with the desired workflow. In our portfolio, you can find a processing system of incoming emails. Alfresco lets upload email attachments into the repository automatically and apply metadata with response to the subject of an email. The task was to enable users to send documents uploaded from their mobile phones directly into the corporate Alfresco ECM. We’ve done that work.
4. Seamless integrationAccessibility of documents, images, audios, videos, faxes or application forms to the right users is of chief priority. Being stored and secured only the content doesn’t work beneficently. It happens that distributed file stores are isolated with invoices, orders, forms and claims (documents which are highly important to be natively extracted from open to general use applications). A seamless integration combines together scattered content under one controlling system and distributes it to all business users by means of different devices.
5. Automated files processingThe mistakes are natural and inevitable while capturing and processing files manually. Automated paper-based processes like scanning, recognition, classifying, and integrating will minimize human errors, accelerate transactions, locate documents more quickly sharing them via the corporate Intranet, etc. Among other things advantages are the cost savings on physical data storages, so your right ECM system is going to keep content digital on a server. Automated files processing put itself in a good light in the urban project for one Danish city. We developed a full-blown online storage for keeping design plans and specifications associated with all buildings of the city. Any citizen can browse the portal and find his dwelling house with a zip code, watch and download design drawings. The things were done in the following way: files were uploaded, then the system recognized types of files, converted them and classified accordingly to adjusted parameters in the system. It resulted in a useful document for the user review.
6. Records Management and RetentionWhen a compliance-sensitive content management is extremely attractive to enterprises, it is worth to hold and dispose the information under prescribed records management and retention policy. Withing ECM system it has to be kept under control all spectrum of actions with business content from the creation to destruction. Companies with an eye to the future struggling to optimize content assets can save on data storages due to manually adjusted and automatically removing useless files.
Lifehack: automatic archiving of documents related to the upload date of files will put to rights your papers easy.
Given method of document management helped our clients to do their business intelligently.
7. WorkflowIf a workflow is your chief requirement, an Alfresco Activiti toolset may stand in good stead perfectly. At the same time with business process management capabilities for developers and no tech-savvy users, it takes over a wide range of choice of critical processes. For all of that, you win integrating Alfresco Activity with a number of enterprise content management systems. Pay attention, however, it may require dedicated developers to adjust some open source modules to your enterprise preferences. The workflow developed in Alfresco Activity can be deployed in Alfresco ECM using all its features. For instance, users, documents, permissions, access to emails, interaction with connected Alfresco modules and other actions are available.
8. Digital contentNow came the great question as to the reason of managing the digital assets such as images, drawings, audios and videos required special processing because of their large file sizes and metadata requirements. A rich media management system would relieve in that case improving content usage with native versions of files and avoiding duplication. Standing on the copyrighted policy materials are ensured to be used in the due and regular form.
Putting all together we hope listed above have sounded through you on the way of changes for better. You may have some unique specifications for your enterprise were not mentioned here. To cover them we are open for a mutual dialog in upcoming blog posts and direct messages. We hope you will consider us as ECM consultants and Alfresco solutions provider to go ahead with your specific requirements.
More Technical articles